Friday, October 1, 2010

Let Me In - No Invitation Needed

Posted by Jay at 2:24 AM
Usually I write movie reviews the day after I watch the movie. This time around, it's been 15 minutes since I finished watching Let Me In.



I do not like remakes. When I heard the Americans were doing a remake of the Swedish movie, Let The Right One In, I said "Um, I read subtitles just fine..." This is the first remake since I can remember that I have not been disappointed by.

To sum it up, this is a love story between two pre-adolescents - one human, one what I can only assume to be a vampire. It's a love story between Abby (the increasingly wonderful Chloe Moretz) and Owen (played hauntingly by Kodi Smit-McPhee of The Road). Owen's parents are going through a divorce and he's relentlessly bullied at school by 3 boys. Abby moves into his neighborhood with her "father" (Richard Jenkins). Soon the two become friends - two social outcasts drawn to each other - despite Abby's and her "father"'s hesitations. They only meet at night and of course Owen becomes very curious about this yet drawn to her.

Abby, do you want to go steady?
What does that mean?
Do you want to be my girlfriend?
I'm not a girl?
Huh? Then what are you?
I'm nothing

I don't want to give the movie away but soon you realize there's more to Abby's relationship with her "father". What really struck me was that although I knew what Abby's "father" was doing was wrong, I kept hoping he could get away with it. The same can be said about Abby. You see the monster/evil that she is but at the same time she's so vulnerable and lonely you just want to comfort her at the same time. This is definitely a credit to the writers and actors - especially the child actors who shoulder most of the film. There's also more suspense than gore which makes the movie even more scary. I was excited, scared shitless and heart broken all in the span of two hours.

It's wonderful to see a vampire story from the eyes of children - no, Twilight should be crossed off your mind at once! Kids can be so trusting, forgiving and fearless. I know that I wouldn't have the courage to befriend Abby like Owen did; especially after I see who she truly is. But at the same time, Abby is the closest person to Owen. As soon as I saw the picture from Abby's past I immediately knew how the story would end but that did not take away from it at all. It reminded me of the Leona Lewis song I Got You. 


Go ahead and say goodbye, I'll be alright
Go ahead and make me cry, I'll be alright
And when you need a place, to run to
For better or worse, I got you


I felt a sense of manipulation on Abby's end - like she was just trying to lure Owen for her own purpose which you'll figure out in the end. This is very different from the original movie and I felt was not true to the spirit of the original. Also, I did not see much conflict in Abby about who she is and what she/ her "father" has to do in order for her to survive. This is definitely not the superior version of the story, however, it's also a worthy Hollywood remake. Once the movie ended - at 0115 - I was left with the daunting task of walking back home. If it wasn't for my recent ailment, I would have run home like Usain Bolt was chasing my ass!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Conversation With My Sister Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template