Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fall 2010 New Show: "$#*! My Dad Says"

Posted by Jay at 10:11 PM
Shit My Dad Says is a comedy based on a twitter account of the same name. The show stars Henry (played by Jonathan Sadowski) as a recently laid-off man, living with his 72 year old dad Ed (played by William Shatner) who never minces his word. I remember there being a lot of hoopla about "shit" in the title but thank goodness CBS didn't budge and kept the word "shit" - even if it is as $#*! *sidenote* HBO never had any problem with Senator Davis' impressive use of the word...sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

First, I enjoyed the Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps promo - $#*! Gordon Gekko says. Second, considering the source material and the fact that it came from Will & Grace producers, I was expecting a lot of zing. But this is cbs; how much of the vulgar nature of the real Ed can be portrayed on network TV? In my opinion, the show would be a better fit for cable tv, but on the other hand, the show can reach more viewers on network tv. However, is the latter worth deviating from the original feel of the tweets? How much of the spirit of "real Ed" from tweets can you fit in a half-hour comedy show?

In the end, I think the writers will have to feel comfortable enough to explore Ed - you know, flesh out the character past his quips - and grow past tweets less than a year old as source material. All in all, there's a lot of room for improvement. However, I will keep checking in hoping it will get better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Conversation With My Sister Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template