Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Committed

Posted by Jay at 6:57 PM


So I finally got around watching Why Did I Get Married Too? The film is now available on dvd. I was eager to see how this sequel would hold up to the original and I was pleasantly surprised; but not that much. For one, all the main actors from the first movie were on board for the sequel. It has been a few years since we last saw them and they’ve all gone through changes. Tyler Perry and Sharon Leal’s characters now have kids and seem happier. Jill Scott and Lamman Rucker’s characters have relocated to Georgia with a baby. Malik Yoba and Janet Jackson’s characters are still married but body language says a lot. Tasha Smith and Michael J. White’s characters are still as dysfunctional and loud as ever. However, White’s character now has a steady job as a sportscaster.

Much like the previous Tyler Perry films without Madea, everyone is not leading the life they want their friends to see; they all have something to hide. Their annual couple’s retreat has a crasher; Richard T. Jones, who now realizes he let go of a great woman (Jill Scott’s character) and wants her back. Why now? That’s revealed much later in the film.
I felt that these couples were handed too many obstacles. Does everyone’s marriage have to be falling apart? Isn’t there one couple actually happy? A few performances stood out to me. Angela (Tasha Smith) brought on all the laughs but unlike the first film, she went way overboard with her over-the-top antics. Sidenote: The actress has a body to die for!

Patricia (Janet Jackson) really moved me. Much of this is to be credited to Janet Jackson. Her breakdown scenes alone are worth the admission price to this film. For the first time I actually saw Janet Jackson as an actress. I also couldn’t help but wonder if she taped the scenes before or after her famous brother’s death. Patricia, in my opinion, went through too much in one lifetime. The loss of a child, now a divorce and the surprise ending that I don’t want to spoil for anyone who hasn’t watched the film. This is definitely one of Perry’s stronger films.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Conversation With My Sister Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template