Sunday, May 23, 2010

Is Alicia Keys Pregnant?

Posted by Jay at 10:52 AM
I hadn't received a call from my sister in a while. Usually I'm the one to call so it was a pleasant surprise to see her number pop up on my caller id. The conversation went something like this:

Hey, what's up?
Please tell me Alicia Keys is not pregnant.
Geez, hello to you too.
No, seriously. I'm watching her UK performance and she so looks pregnant! How can she seriously have a child with that Swizz Beatz?!
I know right?! She's carrying a gut full of human.
That's not funny sis; I really hate that bossip phrase.
But it's funny! Yeah, how can she possibly be serious about having a baby with a man whose divorce is not yet final.
No, how can she have a child with a guy who has so many baby mamas!
I think he only has two. One before his current wife.
Still....
I know...But then again, she could be thinking that even if the relationship doesn't work out, she's got money in the bank...get it?
You just had to insert a Swizz Beatz song, didn't you?
I know I can't help it.

After I hung up the phone, I couldn't help but think further on this topic. We are seeing a lot of celebrity women having kids outside of marriage. Some with some questionable men. I've wondered many times what I would do if I was to become pregnant now. My foot is firmly planted in the corporate world and in adult life. However, the one argument that I have against having kids right now, apart from the fact that there's no man, is that I don't have the money. I just can't afford kids right now; man or no man. But if my bank account looked anything like A. Keys or even Lauren London, would I have a child just because I want one and I can care for the child financially? What about a constant male figure/influence in my child's life? This responsibility can not be left to my brother, uncles or male cousins. I know how it feels to have a father but not a dad. This is not an emotion I would want my child to ever feel. Sis, thoughts?

3 comments:

H on May 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM said...

Boo, people have children for different reasons that are intensely personal, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter what we think. But as a celeb you make people "like" you and it follows they want the best for you. I just wish she did it the right way round...marriage then kids.

Anonymous said...

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/lifestyle/entertainment_news/4919-Alicia-Keys-with-child.html

Kesha said...

I don't think Alicia Keys went out and had a child just because she wanted one. I could see you saying this about Haley Berry but not Alica. I think she is really in love w/ Swizz Beatz so having a child w/ him isn't the end of the world. If it doesn't work out, it is good that she can support her child on her own but nothing is going to take the place of not having a dad in your life no matter how much money you have. The people that do have kids just b/c they have money, I personally think they are selfish & their own desires take over what may be best for the child. However, it is just better that AT LEAST she doesn't have to worry financially.

Post a Comment

 

Conversation With My Sister Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template