Friday, May 28, 2010

Who's Right?

Posted by Jay at 3:10 PM
I have been bored this week; cooped up indoors apart from physical therapy sessions. It has also been a very trying week emotionally. Today I decided to venture outdoors. Destination: Movies. Film: Just Wright.
 
I have wanted to go watch this film for some time but was finally up for it this week. The film stars Queen Latifah as Physical Therapist Leslie Wright and Common as New Jersey Nets Player Scott McKnight. This movie interested me because 1; Common is FOINE! 2; Scott McKnight is attracted to who Leslie is and never sees her size. 3; Common is FOINE! That has been my one hang-up. No, not Common’s beauty but weight in relationships. Every year for my birthday I ask my sister to gift me $5,000 for liposuction. The wonderful person that she is always says an emphatic “NO” thank God! I miss my small self from back when I danced with my University Dance Team. I always believed that the less I weighed meant I got asked out more. But rarely did these connections go past looks. The older I got, the more I valued personality over great looks. Yes, we all have a type. But I have noticed that a beautiful being inside can make a person beautiful on the outside. A connection can be had with a regular Joe who doesn’t fit your picture of the ideal man. All you need to do is take time to know them. That’s what Scott did.

Scott initially pushed aside his attraction to Leslie after he meets her God-Sister Morgan played by Paula Patton. Morgan is gorgeous on the outside but has some deep issues thus is only looking out for herself and the man who can provide her with a better life. Their courtship is fast and when things go south for Scott, Morgan is quick to hightail it out of there. But Leslie has always been there for Scott; before and during Scott’s trying times. Scott takes time to know Leslie. But if Leslie is so wonderful, why is she single? I have been asked this question many times. But Leslie’s answer is exactly what I used to say. “I’m looking for the one I can’t live without.” I used to want this until I met the one I couldn’t live without. It was wonderful until I realized there was someone else he couldn’t live without. That’s when I realized that although I loved him and couldn’t imagine life without him; I needed him to feel like his world was over without me. My friend *Isabel’s sister *Dana told me that you should marry a man who loves you more than you love him. That’s Just Wright for me.
*Names have been change to protect identity

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Conversation With My Sister Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template