Monday, June 7, 2010

Get Him To The Greek - Review

Posted by Jay at 12:42 PM


I love when my brother visits. It means we'll do back to back movies, talk about random stuff and have so much fun together. Too bad A-Team was not opening this weekend. My brother really wanted to watch Get Him To The Greek starring Russell Brand and Jonah Hill. I wanted to watch A-Team  but it was the wrong weekend as my luck would have it. I wasn't expecting much from this film. Boy was I wrong. First, I had forgotten Aldous Snow was in the forgettable (pun intended) Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Second, two minutes into the film I almost died from laughing.

First, about the film. Hill plays Aaron Green, a record company intern. He lives with his girlfriend played by Elisabeth Moss of Mad Men fame. During a meeting at work, he pitches the idea of staging the 10th anniversary concert of Aldous Snow at the Greek Theatre. His boss played by P. Diddy (more on him later) is not too keen on the idea but later tasks Aaron to collect Aldous Snow from London and get him to the Today show in New York then to the Greek Theatre in L.A. It is what happens during this trip that makes the movie.

As soon as the movie started, I thought I was in the wrong movie hall. Why? The movie starts with the Aldous Snow's video for the worst single EVER "African Child". You'll want to click on that link; trust me! The first few minutes of the film chronicles his notoriety through magazine covers and paparrazi run ins with stars such as Pink, Christina Aguilera etc. The celebrity that kills it for me is on-again/off-again girlfriend Jackie Q; played hilariously by Rose Byrne currently seen in the FX drama Damages. It also includes the funniest line I have heard all year. It's a response to Snow sr.'s claim that he managed Aldous' first two years of his career. It's too dirty to quote here but hilarious.

The most memorable supporting character is P. Diddy as Aaron's over-the-top music mogul boss, Sergio. I would not be surprised if this character get's his own movie. Initially I thought Diddy would essentially play himself in this film. I'm sure there was a bit of that but he sure was memorable. The scene where he eats his own head during Aaron's drug filled haze should convince anyone that Diddy should venture into comedy. Some of his memorable lines include "You ever been mind f***ed before? I'm minding f***ing you right now. You feel my d**k in your mind? I hope you are wearing a condom cause I have a dirty mind!", 

All in all, my brother and I left this movie theatre extremely happy. And we learned one thing from Aldous, "When life hands you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall!"


*Rating - GO WATCH!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Conversation With My Sister Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template